Every time I visit home, I make a bunch of meals for my mom to last her after I leave since she never has home-cooked meals. Now that Cailey is off at UC Berkeley, my mom doesn’t have anyone to cook for her during the week.
This recipe was really simple and it did really well with leftovers. You will need:
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1/4 cup chopped basil, divided
- 1/2 pound fusilli
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash (grated)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange tomatoes on a large parchment-lined sheet tray, cut-sides up. Drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper. Scatter 2 tablespoons Parmesan and 2 tablespoons basil evenly over top. Roast until juicy and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook fusilli according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add zucchini, lemon juice, remaining 6 tablespoons Parmesan and 2 tablespoons basil. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide pasta onto four plates, top with tomatoes and serve.