This recipe took longer to prepare than I had anticipated, but it was so worth it! The recipe list is little long…
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 large red onion (cut into small wedges)
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted cashews, (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (divided)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 cups chopped fresh vegetables (I used cauliflower and carrots)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large ovenproof pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, ginger, half of the cashews, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring often and adding a splash of water when the mixture sticks to the pot, until deep golden brown and soft, about 15 minutes. Add yogurt and curry powder and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in vegetables, water, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender on the outside but not cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Remove pot from heat and stir in frozen peas. Arrange hot, drained rice over vegetables, cover pot with foil and a tight-fitting lid and bake until rice and vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Uncover, carefully transfer contents of pot to a large bowl and toss together gently. Spoon into bowls and serve garnished with remaining cashews.