- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 small eggplants, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper ( I eyeballed it because to me, the spicier, the better)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- Parmesan (freshly grated) for garnish
In a deep four quart microwave-safe bowl, combine milk, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and 4 cups water. Cook in microwave on high until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure you stop about every five minutes and mix well before continuing to heat in the microwave.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add onion. Stir occasionally for about five minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add eggplant and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, about one minute. Add tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup water and heat until boiling. Reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for about ten minutes.
To serve, spoon the eggplant mixture over the polenta and top with Parmesan.