My sister was in town for a few short weeks before having to go back to California for summer school. The day after my birthday we decided to go on a picnic for lunch in the park. Of course we couldn’t have just any typical picnic sandwiches, so I found this recipe from Whole Foods and thought it would work just perfect.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, gills removed
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1/4-1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and shaved into slices with a vegetable peeler, or shredded
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, shaved into slices with a vegetable peeler, or shredded
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Brush mushrooms all over with 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon soy sauce, arrange gill-side down on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and roast, until just tender, about 10 minutes.
Pat dry to remove any excess liquid; set aside to let cool.
In a large bowl, toss cabbage, asparagus, green onions and carrots with remaining 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar and soy sauce. Arrange mushrooms on plates with buns if desired and pile on the slaw!