Carrots, celery and greens make tasty additions to this quick tomato sauce with Italian spices. I love the texture of the pasta with the veggies.
- 4 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped Swiss chard or kale
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, about 1 3/4 cups
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until beginning to stick to pan.
Add water, carrots, celery, garlic and Swiss chard and cook 5 minutes or vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes, basil, thyme and red pepper. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are very tender and sauce is thickened. Stir in reserved pasta cooking water and heat through, then stir in pasta.