I love a delicious, hearty soup. It just so happened that a lot of these ingredients overlapped with those in my pasta with vegetables recipe, so I was able to use up a lot of the ingredients in my fridge! I absolutely love when that happens. OK, so maybe I planned it that way when I was doing my grocery shopping, it didn’t just “happen.” But either way, the soup has its own unique set of flavors so I didn’t feel like I was eating the same thing in a soup form.
- 1 can white beans (canellini beans)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 oz shell pasta
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems discarded, leaves sliced
In a large pan, bring water to a boil, add the pasta, reduce to low heat and cook about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and let sit in the strainer.
In the same pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in drained beans, broth, 2 cups water, tomatoes and salt and bring to a boil.
Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in kale and simmer 5 minutes longer, then serve.